12/18/2007

Hello all, John here again.

An Update on the furnace situation. It has been reinstalled, and is working the way I feel it should. The way we got there wasn’t exactly elegant, but we did get there.

The RV Repair company Rec Tec (www.rectecinc.net), initially sent a technician out here on Thursday, and he checked the gas pressure, which he was certain was the problem. I had to explain that it was still symptomatic, and almost insist he remove the furnace and take it to the shop for cleaning and testing. He did. Brought it back the following day, reinstalled, and saw it lit, then left. He was gone in 10 mins, and wouldn’t stay for it to cycle. I shouldn’t have paid him, because it wasn’t an hour later I noticed it still was operating incorrectly. That being it would hit high limit, then the burner would cycle off and it would blow cold air.

Of course, I couldn’t get a hold of the repair company until Monday, when I did, they promptly sent a different tech (the guy who did the bench work at the shop). This guy was much more in tune to what I was saying was wrong, what I have tried, and was very open to solving my problem, not getting done with work early. Kevin, is the company’s main mobile tech, and I can see why, he is very helpful. We dug into a half dozen of possible causes, and finally came to realize that the furnace was truly hitting high limit, the original switch wasn’t defective. The tough part was now figuring out the cause.

High limit normally points to not enough airflow. I don’t believe this to be the case, for a couple reasons. One, this is a new problem. The Furnace worked before, and if it was a ducting problem, it would have existed from the birth of the coach. Secondly, it is a Winnebago. Winnie may have it’s problems, but one of the reasons we decided on Winnie is the excellent engineering they put into these coaches. Winnie wouldn’t install a furnace without proper ducting. To prove this I went through and calculated the area of the available vents, and the cold air return, both of which far exceeded the minimum requirements. Suburban still insisted there wasn’t enough airflow.

I wasn’t too keen on cutting another vent in the floor, especially since I doubt it would have helped. Kevin came up with another possible solution, which works. We changed the High Limit switch to a hotter switch. Suburbans response was that they didn’t recommend that, but it would not cause harm. Since it is in cased in steel, and there really wasn’t a problem with anything around it being a bit hotter, we decided to try this route. It works so far, and preforms to my expectations.

Rec Tec, despite the fact they had a ton of time involved only charged me for the cost of the high limit switch. I feel they did the best they, or any other tech could have, though It does disturb me that we never did find the real cause of the problem.

Drama done for the week I hope.

Have a good night, John

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *